Dental implants are one of the most popular tooth replacement options available today. They are known for their durability, as they can last longer than other options with proper care. However, how long do dental implants actually last? The answer may surprise you.
In this blog post, we’ll explore the answer to this question in detail with help of Dr. Aamir Budhani from Amazing Dental, one of the best dentists in Arlington, Tx for dental implants.
Dental implants are metallics screws that are used to function as an artificial tooth. An implant looks as real as your natural teeth and is hence considered the gold standard of teeth replacement.
Dental implant surgery is an advanced procedure but is completed usually in a single sitting. Then the osseointegration starts where the implant gets naturally fused with the jawbone. This procedure can take anywhere between 3 to 6 months.
A replacement made with a dental implant has 3 parts:
- First is the implant itself, a metallic structure usually made up of titanium or similar material. It is attached to the jawbone and acts as an artificial tooth root.
- On top of the implant, an abutment is placed to connect the implant with the crown.
- The third and the most visible part of the replacement is a dental crown or bridge or a permanent denture. This is usually made out of porcelain or similar material and recreates the natural-looking tooth surface.
Since the implant is made up of metal and is firmly attached to the jawbone through osseointegration, it lasts forever. You don’t have to remove or replace it for the rest of your life.
But the drown or bridge placed on top of the implant requires a replacement every 10-20 years. So while it long-lasting solution, it is only partially permanent.
While the success rate of dental implant surgeries is high, in some rare cases, the osseointegration does not happen properly and the implant fails. So many have to be replaced or fixed, but the chances of such situations occurring are very rare.
Dental implants are made of titanium, a material that is well-suited for use in the human body. Titanium is strong and durable, and it has been used in medical implants for many years.
But the porcelain used for the crown, while sturdy, doesn’t last forever. It can wear down with time, faster for some people based. A gold or silver amalgam crown on the other hand tends to be more resistant to wear and tear but is not popular as it is cosmetically appealing.
Unhealthy oral hygiene practices like overeating sugar or not brushing and flossing your teeth regularly can also reduce the lifespan of your implant.
The success rate for dental implants is very high, and most implants will last for many years. However, the average lifespan of a dental implant is about 10-20 years and extends to 30 years if proper care is taken. So here are a few tips to help ensure your dental implants last a lifetime.
- Eating too many sugary or acidic foods is bad for your oral health as they increase the chances of gum infections. While the implant and the crown itself are resistant to decay or infection, the surrounding gums are not and may to implant failure.
- Smoking or heavy drinking is also bad for your gum health and dental implants as they delay the healing process during the early stages of a dental implant procedure. So it is best to give up such habits to make your dental implants last longer.
- While the implant and crown are sturdy and durable, they are not indestructible. So a facial injury may damage the dental implants. If you play outdoor sports, it’s best to wear a mouthguard to protect your dental implant from physical damage.
- Bruxism or habitual teeth grinding is another leading cause of dental implant failure as it puts physical pressure on your teeth. So consult your dentist to create a custom mouthguard you can wear at night to avoid reducing teeth grinding during sleep.
- If you have dental implants,s it is best not to use your teeth to open bottles or bite into hard stuff as it can lead to chips and cracks in the implants.
- Lastly, practice good oral hygiene by brushing your teeth twice a day, flossing daily, and getting regular dental checkups and cleanings.
Related Blog – Signs That You Need Dental Implants
Dental implants are a popular and effective treatment for missing teeth. They are a strong, durable, long-lasting, and highly effective solution to replace missing teeth.
If you compare implants with dentures, the pros outweigh the cons by a huge margin.
So if you need long-lasting, sturdy, and cosmetically appealing replacement teeth, dental implants are a great choice, irrespective of your age.
So if you need to get dental implants in Arlington, Tx, do book a consultation with Dr. Aamir Budhani at Amazing Dental for high-quality care.